Saturday, March 03, 2007

Something fishy's going on in my basement!
In my fish room, anyway. For the first time in a long time, I have a pair of angelfish spawning! I know some of you are wondering what the hell is this gal talking about? Those who are fish enthusiasts know! For the rest of you guys who are not I can tell you that this is a wondrous act of Nature. I have raised angelfish for the twenty-some years. You can ask the priestess of nothing about what her folks used to be into. I once was a member of the Colorado Aquarium Society. Now back to the angels spawning. Mommy Fish looked like she swallowed a fish-sized basketball. So I provided a 2X12 inch piece of slate in her and Daddy Fish's aquarium. After a while she laid her eggs on the slate and Daddy fertilized them. They took turns. She laid. He sprayed. When I got ready to take away the slate they pitched a fit and wanted to peck me! No way would they let me take away their eggs! I won out in the end. I placed the slate in a jar of water that had been treated with a solution to keep the eggs from getting fungus. Hopefully in a couple of days There will be some wriggling little babies no bigger than the head of a pin!. I could have Mommy and Daddy take care of them, but there might be a chance they might eat them. So I find artificial hatching a lot better. If I can I'll try to take a picture of them as they develop. I'm keeping watch on the other angel fish I have to see if more fish "pair off." I have schools of angelfish! Most of them I raised from babies myself. Now I have plans! I have at least 30 fish tanks!

No comments: